Friday 12 July 2013

Songs that have a meaning to me

Description

To start with I remember the teachers strikes when I was at school think it was 1985 if I’m not mistaken where we used to go to registration, find our teacher was on strike then go home which is when I actually got into music, which all started with me acquiring my dad’s Freddie Mercury single and 'The Works' on tape, I eventually went out and bought my first single one hit wonder Stan Ridgway.

Now we have a couple of firsts, the first concert I went to see which was at the Mayfair Bruce Dickinson (bands seen mix) the first stage production at the dominion theatre London Grease which had the cast Craig Mclachlan, Debbie Gibson (her last day), Shane Richie and Tamzin Outhwaite, and my first karaoke song Bon Jovi.

During the early 1990s me and a mate became djs, we started off doing house parties and then we got a residency we did Butlers in the Newcastle on a Monday, which led to us getting Surfers Bar down in Tynemouth which was good for me as it was a rock club the only thing was I didn't finish till 22:00 the first night so didn't get there till late, there was 3 off us doing it at the time, when I got there nobody was dancing so my other 2 mates had to go for a meeting to talk about it and because I knew the music they left me in charge, when they came back i had Anthrax playing and the dance floor was full.

Because of the residency we got a few other gigs we did the music pre-game and half time for the North Shields Robins at Appleby Park, Tynemouth Beaconsfield with Alan Robson for bonfire night and the official opening of the Royal Quays with Lee Finan, PJ & Duncan where they perform 2 songs including let’s get ready to rumble.

One of the dj which did surfers for a while with us was Michael Whitaker who I roadied for at the time he did some great songs including hot summer nights but unfortunately this was never released, I also roadied for Lindisfarne for 1 gig which was when the tall ships left the Tyne and they played at Tynemouth, I also saw a lot of local bands around this time Candleman Summer, Tim Jones and Mccallum his left handed album is the best one he did but it is difficult to acquire.

Unfortunately my mam died in January 2000 but I always remember her talking about how she saw Billy Fury and he touched her glove, this song was also played at her funeral.
In February 2004 I met the love of my life who would later go on to break my heart (heartbreak mix) and while we were talking I mentioned how t-Rex were no 1 when I was born (significant dates mix) she wanted to know what was her song which was Louis Armstrong when she came up to mine we watched a documentary on The Kinks where she told me what Lola was all about, she also sent me a text which said roses are red, violets are blue, your my Geordie boy, and I adore you, the only thing that came to mind at the time was the lyrics to The Proclaimers song when I wake up well I know I’m gonna be the man that wakes up next to you, when I go out well I know I’m gonna be the man that goes next to you, I did think off something better later on.

Tracks

1. Freddie Mercury - I was born to love you.

2. Queen - It’s a hard life.

3. Stan Ridgway - Camouflage.

4. Bruce Dickinson - All the young dudes.

5. Original London Cast Recording - Grease - Summer nights.

6. Bon Jovi - Living on a prayer.

7. Anthrax - Got the time.

8. Pj & Duncan - Eternal love.

9. Michael Whitaker - Sailing home.

10. Lindisfarne - Old peculier feeling.

11. McCallum - Bigg bigg market.

12. Billy Fury - Halfway to paradise.

13. Louis Armstrong - What a wonderful world.

14. The Kinks - Lola.

15. The Proclaimers - I’m gonna be(500 miles).

No comments:

Post a Comment